United Methodist Women
About the United Methodist Women
United Methodist Women (UMW) is the largest denominational faith organization for women with approximately 800,000 members. The mission of UMW is to foster spiritual growth, develop leaders, and advocate for justice. First UMC has four UMW Circles that meet regularly: Faith, Hope, Joy, and Grace.
Members raise up to $20 million each year for programs and projects related to women, children, and youth in the United States and in more than 100 countries around the world.
The national policy-making body of this group is The Women’s Division.
The organized unit of United Methodist Women shall be a community of women whose purpose is:
- To know God and to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ.
- To develop a creative supportive fellowship.
- To expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries
The purpose is adopted by the General Conference of the United Methodist Church as the official mission statement of United Methodist Women. Out of the purpose are four mission foci:
- To be a community of women
- To know God
- To develop a creative and supportive fellowship
- To expand concepts of mission